SEMDA 2015 Conference Sets New Records
Saturday, April 11, 2015
Posted by: Angela King
SEMDA's 2015 Conference, Smart Devices + Smart Medicine, was a record-setting event on many levels - drawing the most attendees, most presenting companies, and strongest program ever!
"We are extremely pleased with the outcome of this year's conference. The event broke numerous records: We had more than 400 attendees for the first time in the history of the SEMDA conference; a record number of presenting companies participated in Pitch Rounds; the highest number of posters presented; and record-breaking sponsorship. We attribute this success to the outstanding program developed for the attendees. Speakers provided deep analysis of the future of the medical device industry and Smart Devices + Smart Medicine," said Jason Rupp, Executive Director of SEMDA.
A roundup of the conference:
- For the first time, attendance for the SEMDA conference exceeded 400, an exciting milestone!
- Pitch Rounds was a resounding success, with a record number 27 companies presenting to investors.
- In addition to Pitch Rounds, the SEMDA Connect App continues to be an overwhelming success -- one-on-one meeting rooms were booked the entire conference.
- The posters were outstanding, breaking another record with 35 posters - 13 more than last year.
- With nearly 40 exhibitors, the exhibit area was vibrant with a continuous traffic flow in an ideal setting.
- The Keynote and Plenary speakers were outstanding and filled the ballroom.
- Opening Plenary: Leveraging Smart Medical Device to Drive Value, with Jeffrey Gross, PhD
- Lunch Plenary: Medical Device Innovation Fuels the U.S. Economy, with Jay Williams
- Value vs Valuation: What is your company worth?, with Burton M. Goldfield
- New World of Medical Device Innovation, with Ibraheem Badejo, PhD
- The Future of Smart Implantable Diagnostic & Monitoring Devices, with Mark Phelps, PhD
- Gala Keynote: Beyond Structure: The Movement Towards "Smart Implants", with William Hunter, D
- Day 2 Breakfast Plenary: Integrated Healthcare: Who are the Winners and Losers?, with William Hunter, MD, Ibraheem Badejo, PhD, Mark Phelps, PhD, Jeffrey Gross, PhD and Jay Yadav, MD
- Closing Keynote with Charles Brock
- SpotLight Award Winners:
- Individual category: C. David Adair, MD, Glenveigh Medical
- Organization category: Halyard Health
- Late Stage Company: Valencia Technologies Corporation
- Early Stage Company: InvisionHeart
- Poster: Yale Zhang, Safe Heart USA
What attendees are saying:
"This was my first SEMDA conference and it was well beyond my expectations; a terrific conference with great networking opportunities and valid programming with a committed group of stakeholders in the Southeastern US, committed to fostering growth and innovation in the life sciences in this growing region. I made several new promising business contacts and am looking forward to Nashville in 2016."
"SEMDA's annual conference provides an outstanding forum for us to hear from and meet with thought leaders, network with industry experts and investors, and to partner with the medical device industry in the Southeast."
"I think the event was a success: good speakers, quality attendees, solid turnout and, it would appear the pitch rounds concept was well received."
"The SEMDA conference was an extremely well managed event and the food was excellent. Thanks for all."
The Southeastern Medical Device Association (SEMDA) is a non-profit trade association that supports and promotes medical device companies in the Southeast. Created in 2004, the association provides a unique resource and networking opportunity for medical device companies, inventors, physicians, and investors interested in accelerating the growth of the medical device industry in the Southeast. Learn more at www.semda.net.